Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mum, no peeking.

This is the shawl I 've been knitting for my Mum's holiday gift. She's seen it in progress, but she promised she wouldn't peek at my blog until after the holidays since she has no idea what the finished object looks like. I knit it with Koigu handpainted merino using a free pattern from Interweave. I used the Little Arrowhead Shawl. I think this is so pretty. Mine is bigger than theirs, measuring about 45" across the top and about 23" from top edge to bottom point. I just wish I had the patience to have made it even bigger and used up all the yarn.
Here is a close up of the bottom point. It makes me think of rainbow cobwebs. It's amazing how lace emerges like a butterfly from a cocoon once you soak it and block it. On my needles it was pretty, but smaller and denser. The second I pulled it out of the sink, PRESTO! Light, airy, delicate, multi-hued lace.

No comments: